Sunday, June 16, 2013

Dream Guardian.

Finally finished this project! This sculpture named Dream Guardian is for a Hong Kong toy figure design contest. I was really surprised when I got the notification of being selected to the final! 
Figure design in 2D- 360'demonstration.
and...done! A transition from 2D to 3D was a challenge after I knew I had the opportunity to the final.

I am showing all the process below.

2D part:
Ok, Let's talk from the motive. My inspiration came from Melanie. She was my Muse.
When Luc and I went to Melanie's restaurant one day, I remembered her birthday was coming, so I drew a little Melanie lying on an owl's back, since she's absolutly an owl fan.
Luc was fond of this picture very much. And when he suggested me writing OWLstanding Birthday below instead of Happy Birthday, I thought he was a genius.


The other day when I had no idea participating the toy design contest, Luc said to me :"why not try it with the one you did for Melanie? it worked for me."

With some dubitation, I started doing some adjustments fitting the requirements of the design contest.

Here is one of the six-side design pictures, from pencil-lined to colored.




3D part:
Actually, this seemingly small & easy figure consumed me gobs of time.
After several times of selective shop-around, I confirmed the materials. A foam globe from Waltmart,cork coaster from IKEA, some galvanized wire and clay.  I took many photos for the process,so let's "Show, not Tell".



first modeling

owl's plume.
scary process of making little person...

ready to bake!(excited)

painful conclusion of the first bake.
Maybe I should choose the lower temperature or less bake time.



fixed with more clay to the second bake

Acrylic color attempt



Oops..face detailed depict and more texture and deco




Finished!
 and...my working photo.^_^
Luc took it for me as a souvenir.

0 comments:

Post a Comment